Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cancer has taught me a lot of things


It was a never-ending wait for Yuvraj Singh during his treatment in the United States. He longed to be home and wondered whether he will ever be back. The cricketer on Wednesday admitted the “scar” has not gone but nevertheless is appreciative of the transformation the struggle has brought in his life.

Yuvraj recalled how his days used to revolve around cricket but felt he will be playing with a lighter head when he makes his return.

“Earlier, I would spend my days thinking about my batting or bowling. You wake up and begin to think how to prove everyone wrong. There was a lot of popularity. But after this, I realised that family and friends are important, to be happy is important, money is important too, but what is most important is to be happy and healthy,” Yuvraj said.

“I have got a normal life back, where I am eating, sleeping and spending time with close ones. I know when I return to playing cricket, I will play with less stress and enjoy it more.”

Yuvraj, who has spoken extensively about his inspiration from Lance Armstrong, said he would like to do something for cancer patients in the future. “Cancer is out of my system but the scar remains. In future I will definitely do something for the people. It has taught me a lot of things. During my chemotherapy sessions, there were some elderly patients. They inspired me. I would think, if they can be cured, why can't I. In future I would like to work and make people aware of cancer treatment.”

Dr Nitesh Rohatgi of Max Cancer Centre, who has been part of Yuvraj's medical team, said the cricketer handled his chemotherapy quite well.

“He has managed to handle it remarkably well because of his positive attitude. He would be starting with a few exercises shortly.”

“He did suffer from a few side-effects of the chemotherapy but they are reversible like the hair loss. He is not on medication. Yuvraj's case will give a lot of people hope that can cancer can be treated if detected at the right time."